All Tasmanian prisons became smoke free on 31 January 2015. Nicotine replacement therapy is only available to new prisoners who are entering the system.
Support after Prison
Transition to life on the outside may present particularly tough challenges, especially for someone trying to quit smoking or to stay quit.
Support options for people who smoke and are leaving prison:
- Quitline 13 7848 is a culturally-sensitive, free and confidential telephone service that supports people to stop smoking
- MyQuitBuddy is a personalised app to help smokers quit for good and to connect with other people who are quitting. Available free to download
- Nicotine replacement therapy products are available from pharmacies and supermarkets OR at a subsidised cost with a prescription from a GP
- Quitting medication is on the PBS and available with a prescription from a GP
- QuitCoach.org.au – free advice from an online coach